IRS Tax Relief for Oklahoma Storm, Tornado and Flood Victims

Oklahoma residents and businesses affected by severe storms, tornadoes and flooding beginning May 2, 2022 now have until September 1, 2022, to file and pay certain federal taxes. The IRS extended the deadlines after parts of the state were declared a disaster area by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The tax relief applies to residents and businesses of Adair, Cherokee, Muskogee, Okmulgee, Pottawatomie, Seminole and Tulsa counties that were affected by the May 2 natural disasters.

Various federal tax filing and payment due dates for individuals and businesses from May 2 through August 31 will be extended to September 1, 2022. This includes estimated quarterly tax payments that were due June 15, 2022 .

The tax relief also applies to quarterly payroll and excise tax filings normally due August 1, 2022. Penalties on payroll and excise tax filings due May 2 through May 16 will also be deleted if the deposits were made before May 17, 2022.

Victims of storms, tornadoes and floods in Oklahoma do not have to contact the IRS for this relief. However, if you receive a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS whose original or extended due date the payment or filing falls within the deferral period, call the number on the notice to that the penalty be reduced.

The IRS will also waive fees for obtaining copies of previously filed tax returns for taxpayers affected by Oklahoma’s natural disasters. When requesting copies of a tax return or tax return transcript, write “Oklahoma Severe Storms, Tornadoes and Flooding” in bold at the top of Form 4506 (copy of return) or Form 4506- T (transcript) and send it to the IRS.

Additionally, the IRS will work with any taxpayer who lives outside of Oklahoma, but whose records necessary to meet a deadline that occurs during the deferral period are located in the state. Taxpayers eligible for relief who live in another state should contact the IRS at 866-562-5227. This also includes workers involved in relief activities who are affiliated with a recognized government or philanthropic organization, and anyone visiting the area who has been killed or injured as a result of the disaster.

Individuals and businesses in a federally declared disaster area who have suffered uninsured or unreimbursed disaster-related losses can choose to claim them either on the declaration in the year the loss occurred (in in this case, the return for 2022 that you will file next year), or the return for the previous year. This means taxpayers can, if they choose, file an amended return to claim these losses on their 2021 return. Be sure to write the FEMA return number (DR-4657-OK) on any return claiming an loss. It’s also a good idea for affected taxpayers claiming the catastrophe loss on a 2021 amended return to put the catastrophe designation (“Oklahoma Severe Storms, Tornadoes and Flooding”) in bold type at the top of the form. See IRS Publication 547 for details.

Comments are closed.